Kwassui History

Kwassui History

from
Kwassui 1879-2004
Kwassui Gakuin 125th Anniversary

Gakko Hojin Kwassui Gakuin
May 2005

Kwassui Gakuin was founded by American missionary Ms. Elizabeth Russell in 1879. This plaque, which
can be found at the back of the Main Chapel on the Higashi Yamate campus, was gifted by the Alumnae
Association on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of Kwassui’s founding, and reads:
IN LOVING MEMORY OF ELIZABETH RUSSELL
WHOSE FAR-REACHING FAITH, UNFAILING LOVE, AND UNDISCOURAGEABLE BELIEF IN THE ABILITY AND
FUTURE OF JAPANESE WOMANHOOD MADE POSSIBLE THE SCHOOL

Building No.16 (used when Kwassui started in 1879) Building No.16 (used when Kwassui started in 1879)

Kwassui History 1 >>

Nagasaki before and after the opening up of the port

Students in front of Russell and Cowen Halls Students in front of Russell and Cowen Halls

Kwassui History 2 >>

The founding of Kwassui Girls’ School

Graduation certificate from 1907 Graduation certificate from 1907

Kwassui History 3 >>

Sticking to Christian principles –
Ms. Young’s years in office

Maypole dance Maypole dance

Kwassui History 4 >>

Kwassui opens a “Higher School” –
Ms. White’s years in office

Kwassui staff in 1941 Kwassui staff in 1941

Kwassui History 5 >>

The war years

Prayer room damaged by the atomic bomb Prayer room damaged by the atomic bomb

Kwassui History 6 >>

The end of the war

Daily Jr. College Chapel hour with Ms. Peckham Daily Jr. College Chapel hour with Ms. Peckham

Kwassui History 7 >>

Recovery after the war

College Inauguration Ceremony (1981) College Inauguration Ceremony (1981)

Kwassui History 8 >>

The opening of the 4-year college

In 1991, with the Inauguration of the Graduate School,
Kwassui completed another step forward and became a
university. As new 4-year courses were opened, Junior
College departments gradually began to close, and the last
Junior College graduation ceremony took place in 2005.